IDC ANALYST CONNECTION
Digital transformation has become a board-level initiative at many companies. This board-level mandate comes from the realization that most industries have reached the point of diminishing returns for using cash hoards to increase dividends, buy back stock, or make acquisitions to keep stock prices propped up.
The following questions were posed by SAP to Dan Vesset, group vice president of IDC’s Analytics and Information Management research, on behalf of SAP’s customers:
- What examples of digital transformation, where analytics and data have played a critical role, have you seen among your clients?
- What role does analytics play in these digital transformation efforts?
- The topic of decision support has been discussed for years, even decades. What has changed?
- What do you see as the biggest challenges or roadblocks to more pervasive and effective analytics?
- With these changes in technology and organizational behavior, what are some of the best practices you have seen in the use of analytics?
About this analyst
Dan Vesset is group vice president of IDC’s Analytics and Information Management market research and advisory practice, where he leads a group of analysts covering all aspects of structured data and unstructured content processing, integration, management, governance, analysis, and visualization. Mr. Vesset also leads IDC’s global Big Data and Analytics research pillar. His research is focused on best practices in the application of business intelligence, analytics, and enterprise performance management software and processes on decision support and automation and data monetization.