Mobile applications are providing exciting new business opportunities for service providers and technology companies. Innovative firms are thriving by offering apps in app stores and app markets, by supporting apps with mobile services and infrastructure, and by managing apps through mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM) products. Enterprisesare providing mobile apps to their employees and customers through corporate app catalogs. But these business opportunities could be jeopardized by information security issues. Attacks on mobile devices are growing at exponential rates.
Security firms have estimated that:
• Mobile threats grew from 7,000 in 2010, to 25,000 in 2011, to more than 65,000 in 2012.
• The number of Android malware threats, including variants, could reach 1 million
by the end of 2013.1
• The number of infected Android devices grew more than 200% in 2012, from 10.8 million at the beginning of the year to 32.8 million at the end of the year.
Service providers and technology companies that fail to address these trends risk losing customers.
Firms that respond well have an opportunity to gain market share.
In this white paper, we will look at:
1. Why mobile attacks are exploding.
2. Options for protecting against malicious mobile apps.
3. The newest defense: mobile app reputation services.
4. The Webroot Mobile App Reputation Service.